Monday, April 19, 2010

The 3 little Pigs are Safe in a Staw Bale Home!

California Green
All this week on PBS California Green, Heul Howser's show, is focusing on Earth Day. Last night: Straw Bale Homes, This week's programming includes: Native Plant Tour, Solar Fest, Recycled Paint & Carpet and more www.cagold.com/green/ It's on at 7:30 on KCET.

The straw bale house episode was great, it was amusing watching Heul being so amazed by straw bale homes. The cool part if he visited my fav nursery, Tree of Life, and taped live construction of their 3rd or 4th straw bale building and interviewed the staff, who love working in their straw bale office. Go to http://www.thelaststraw.org/ for more info on straw bale homes. You can go anytime to Tree of Life nursery and see these for yourself. http://www.caliifornianativeplants.com/

I remember 18 years ago touring a straw bale home in San Felipe and wanting to build one on my land down there. I ended up selling the land when I moved to Ca, cause it was farther away to go to San Felipe from Ca than it was from Phoenix, but I always planned on building one someday. How neat to use an item that is natural, in abundance and insulates incredibly to build your walls! And infil homes, which are post an beam construction, can be easily built to code in California. They are such cool looking homes, too, with that adobe character and feel and incredible strength. I can't help thinking of the wolf and how he would huf and he would puff, but never be able to blow down a straw bale home! Did you ever think of that Brother's Grimm?

1 comment:

  1. I ended up selling the land when I moved to Ca, cause it was farther away to go to San Felipe from Ca than it was from Phoenix, but I always planned on building one someday.


    Cool Life

    ReplyDelete